How a Great Mentor Can Transform Your Career
Every career has turning points. Every career has setbacks. Have you thought about the positive impact a great mentor could have on your career progress and lifelong success?
Begin with the End in Mind
Start by determining what you want from a mentoring relationship. A few ideas for you:
- Advanced technical knowledge
- Insight into the politics of your company or department
- Advocacy in an aggressive or fast-paced work environment
- Guidance on building strategic alliances
- Increased visibility in your company or industry
- Exposure to opportunities that challenge and boost your skills
Create Your Mentor Success Criteria
What should you look for in a mentor? I think it is important to have a success criteria developed before you take the crucial step of speaking to a potential mentor.
I have advised my coaching clients to include these traits as a starting point:
- Integrity and honesty
- Mutual respect
- Industry experience
- Connections and credibility
- High emotional intelligence
- Discretion and tact
- Ability to challenge your thinking and skills
- Insight into the strengths and potential of others
What traits would you add to your Mentor Success Criteria?
Email your list to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Mentor Success Criteria
What did you learn from your favorite mentor, and how did it transform your career?
Do you have a great mentoring story to share? What did you learn from your favorite mentor, and how did it transform your career? Tell us your mentor success story. Subject line: Mentor Story
Next week, I will talk about where and how to find a mentor, rather than waiting for one to show up in your life!